Pages

How to Cut a Round Cake
(cake is cake no matter what occassion you are celebrating, so I use this guide for all my cakes - weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, etc)

As stated in the pricing section of this blog, I use the Wilton Serving Guide to determine the amount of servings per cake size. A serving size is a 1" x 2" x 4" slice. You are probably wondering how on Earth I can get 35 slices out of a 10" round cake, right? Well, it's really easy. Most people are used to cutting a cake like a pie resulting in giant wedge pieces. If you did that, you would never get the amount of servings that a 10" can actually feed.

Wilton has their own method of cutting a round cake, but it can be tricky even for the professional. I found a much easier way. I call it the IndyDebi method. I'm not sure if she invented this method, but she has a great tuturial on how to cut the cake. In a nut shell, you cut a round cake like you would a square cake. Rather than re-inventing the wheel, I thought I would just link to Debi's Tutorial.

Please click here to see how to cut the cake - any cake, not just a wedding cake.

Far be it from me to tell you how to cut your cake, but if you cut it this way, for a wedding or a birthday, you will get the servings that I have listed.

I hope this FAQ and Debi's tutuorial helps solve the mystery of how to get x # of servings out of a cake.